FEEL THE PASSION

FEEL THE PASSION

Tuesday 22 March 2011

What A Weekend of Results

Good results dictate my weekend. When things go well, it makes me happy, when they don't I find that I just don't enjoy my weekend quite as much had my teams won. Call me crazy or call me passionate, I don't know why I feel this way, but I do. Luckily, this past weekend was definitely a happy one for me, not only because it was a long one with Monday being a public holiday, but the majority of results went my way, making me one happy guy.

Friday

On Friday, I was lucky enough to be at Newlands on a perfect evening see my home T20 cricket team, The Cape Cobras, see off the challenge of the Warriors to with the Standard Bank Pro20 competition. While I much prefer the "real" formats of the game, T20 seems to entertain more often than not. The Cobras batted first and set a defendable total of 166 for 5 thanks to the opening pair of Gibbs and Levi getting the team off to a good start with an unbeaten 88 run partnership off the first 9 overs. The Cobras restricted the Warriors to 154 for 6 in their allotted overs, meaning new champions were crowned. Great celebrations followed. Well done to the team.

Saturday

An early start on Saturday morning meant that I woke up to see the Proteas cruising to victory over Bangladesh. A great team performance all round provided the Proteas with top spot in Group B which has set up a clash with New Zealand on Friday. This is a team we must back ourselves to beat, surely we have enough depth in every department to win the game and progress to the semis. However, it will add more pressure onto the team, because if they fail, the old "Chokers" label will be even more deeply connected to the team for years to come.

The afternoon brought about some good football results. Man Utd managed to see off a strong Bolton side who, until the 88th minute, had chances to win the game. Matt Taylor missed a golden opportunity to put the game to bed, especially after Jonny Evan's reckless challenge on Stuart Holden lead to his dismissal. They failed to put us away, and so, our never say die attitude and true character shone through yet again to see Dimitar Berbatov put away his chance and Utd won the game 1 nil. To all those Berbatov "fans" out there, you should feel ashamed of yourselves. The guy loves the club, works a lot harder than he did, is the league's top scorer and has now scored important goals - he deserves more credit than what he gets. Well done Berba!

Also, on at the same time were Utd's title rivals Arsenal playing West Brom at the Hawthorns. Keeping tabs on that game I was overjoyed to see the Baggies leading 2 nil in the second half. But a good comeback from the Gunners saw them draw the game 2 2 with goals from Arshavin and Van Persie. They are lucky to still be in the position they are. The title will be decided for sure on 1 May when Utd travel to the Emirates, but if they keep playing attractive footy without the end results, it may not be the game everyone expects.

The Stormers against the Bulls at Loftus on Saturday evening. A hard fought victory for the Stormers who are now still the only unbeaten team left in the competition. They sit pretty at the top of their conference and overall log. Now to all those fans unhappy with their lack of tries, what are you thinking now? Would you rather see a try fest with the team losing the high scoring games OR see the team grind out results early on in the competition and sit top of the logs with a great platform for the upcoming weeks?! Yeah, thought so.

So I had a great long weekend. I caught up on sleep, watched my teams perform well and therefore I was and am still one happy man!

No comments:

Post a Comment